Tuesday 15 November 2011

My Guide to Jewish Cooking:

So there is no way that I am divulging any of my Bubbie’s recipes. (Bubbie is Yiddish for Grandmother just in case you don’t know, and if there are any weird looking words in this blog post for my readers please feel free to google them.) My Bubbie is a wonderful cook, though sadly recently she has been having problems with her hands and has not been able to cook the family dinners as usual. Though my Zaddie (grandfather) has stepped up and has been doing all the cutting and other prep work that is to difficult for her to do now. And for the record, he has always washed all the pots, and that’s a big task, because Bubbie always makes a lot of dishes. After family dinners I am usually found lying on the couch patting my belly and looking very tired. Though I will get up when I here the word desert mentioned, and return to the table.

Food for me, and in my observations I have seen this with most ethnicities, is a prime part of connecting with a culture. As a historian I think it would make an interesting topic of inquiry; especially since what people eat tells a lot about them, for example seeing how often a family eats meat may tell you their economic standing. But obviously this is not always the case, if they never eat meat they might be vegetarians like Hindus.

I thought this would be an interesting example for my guide for online resources because I often google recipes. Though in all honesty, I don’t really google Jewish recipes because my Bubbie has taught me all my favourites (and I live with my sister who has mastered all these recipes better than I). I tend to search for recipes that will spice up my dinner for the night with something new. However, I have decided to make a guide for what I know. Though I might not be the best cook, I know how to eat. But as a disclaimer, when doing my research I have been a bit disappointed since many of the Jewish cookbooks that I tend to use at home are not open-source. So this guide is limited to what is available to everyone on-line. Also, I have not made any of these recipes. This guide is not a recommendation of my favourite recipes; it’s just a list of traditional meal recipes.

Further, the recipes that I have included are primarily from the Ashkenazi tradition. Jewish cuisine varies greatly from place to place, depending on what has traditionally been locally available. Additionally, Jewish cuisine also varies depending on how closely one keeps the kosher laws. One example is during Passover, traditionally Ashkenazi Jews do not eat beans because they see the way they expand when they are cooked as rising. (FYI Jews are not supposed to eat anything that leavens during Passover.) But Sephardic Jews do not have this tradition of not eating beans during Passover. 

So here are a few on-line sites that provide recipes for each course in a traditional Friday night meal.

Matzo Ball Soup:

Firstly you need a good soup. Soup also happens to be my favourite part of the meal. I am providing a list of matzo ball soup recipes, which is delicious anytime of the year, but is definitely a must in my family during Passover. Now some advice if you are going to be making your first matzo ball, do not make them too big because they will expand. I learned this the first time I tried to make matzo balls with my Bubbie. She left me to shape the batter while she worked on another dish. When she came over to the table to see what I had made, she said they were too big and that I had to make them smaller. This was not a big task to make them smaller, but the whole fact that they expand has always puzzled me why they are eaten during Passover.



Gefilte Fish:

You might not be pronouncing that word right, its an ‘a’ sound at the end. Gefilte fish is something I only enjoy if it is freshly made, I never eat that can stuff eww. Also, this is something I have never made and really do not plan on making, because to be done right you need to de-bone the fish. Since I don’t even like de-boning a can of salmon, this dish is too much effort for me to make. But if it is done right it is very yummy. So if you are an adventurous cook here is a new dish for you to try out.


http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/holidays/passover/gefiltefish/recipes/food/views/Gefilte-Fish-234457

Brisket:

This meat will melt in your mouth. I am getting hungry just thinking about it.


http://www.cookingnook.com/brisket.html

Kugel:

Kugel is the beloved side dish to brisket, and it comes in many different types. Usually there are at least two types of kugel at our dinners. I will be honest, in my internet research and from watching a lot of Food Network, I have yet to see any recipes that are as good as my Bubbie’s and as low cal (though that is a relative term, I mean in compassion). Here are some recipes for noodle kugel. But I am warning you that I make mine completely different.


-this one is pareve so it can actually be eaten with the Brisket.

Desert:

I like banana bread for desert. The leftovers are great with a coffee for breakfast the next day. Were not really a big desert family, since you can’t mix milk and meat. Banana bread and some cut-up pineapple and watermelon is a great way to end this very heavy meal.




Oy, once your done eating all this food it's time for some Jewish guilt about all the calories you consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment