Tuesday 17 January 2012

Jumping into History




Dear my vast audience that has probably been waiting in anticipation for my first blog of 2012. Or maybe just Professor Turkel. I shall pad my ego with the pretend notion that people read this. Because that’s really what I am looking forward to as a public historian, that my work, which won’t only be essays, will be appreciated by an audience outside of academia. My little frozen Grinch heart swelled a bit when the little old ladies at the town hall meeting were excited by my research.
 
When I think about things lying around my apartment the first thing that comes to mind are books. If I bought a second book shelf this problem would be fixed. But I really do not want to schlep back that much furniture to Toronto. I am actually quite neat; these are very organized piles in the corner of my room. (That sentence has been added so that future Historians don’t write in my biography that I was  messy.) 

So what I have always wanted is a hologram book that you can jump into. I have always wanted to be able to emerge myself into an image by jumping into it since I saw Marry Poppins. It’s the scene where Marry and the children are on their way to the park when they bump into Burt who has drawn a row of beautiful chalk photos of different scenes. They then jump into the picture of the English countryside. During their adventures in the drawing Marry wins a hoarse race on a carrousel hoarse. After which she sings Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Hopefully this has rejuvenated your memory. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-Z0SSyUcw&noredirect=1




I love reading historical fiction. I am currently reading The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli. The book is about a female photographer for Life magazine during the Vietnam War. Well, I would not want to be able to jump into the war scenes; however, I would love to be able to walk around the streets of Saigon. (I just started the book, so it’s only 1963 so far, so its not a completely unrealistic notion.)  


My hologram book would work by opening any ordinary book of one’s choosing and then the individual would place “The Button” on the page they would like to enter the story at, smack in the middle of the spine. Once one pressed “The Button” a rainbow hologram image would appear covering the page. Then you would place the book on the floor, and step into it. Though the weird feeling often associated with Disapparating might be a side affect; I have not worked out all the kinks yet. Once you have arrived in the image you would have the ability to explore the historical backdrop of the book your reading. However, the experience only lasts for twenty-five minutes. One should not escape reality for too long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment